SC - My Upcoming feast... menu ver 1.0

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Wed Oct 21 08:10:05 PDT 1998

Note: while I was compiling this, I made the horrible discovery that I left
the book I was using ("An Ordinance of Pottage" - Constance Hieatt) on the
train last night!!! I will need another copy damn soon if I am to have this
done in time. Is it still in print?
otherwise is there anyone who will provide me with the medieval text from
the book for the recipes from the Hattes on down?.
Hello, the list!!

Here is the first iteration of a menu for the event I am going to serve...
and the recipes for the first course.

I would like your comments
(I would like suggestions for savory sublties for the second and thisr
courses, as well.
)

Setup
	bread,
	butter and honey
	Apples and Dates

the first course
	Souppes
	Leche Lumbard
	Lentyn Foyles
	Chickyn yn Gretney
	Sauce camelyn

(here is where I lost the book, I need the texts for the following)

	Soteltie = Hattes ( meat filled dumplings shaped like hats and fried
)

the second course
	Tartys of Flesche
	Peasyn Wortes
	Douse Desire
	Sallet
	Bastons

The third course
	Bruet of Spayne
	Frumente
	Joutys
	Pears in Confyte

"Dessert" soteltie (provided by another cook)

The recipes

the recipes:

the first course
	Souppes
the original:
	Take marye; do hit yn a pot with hony, poudyr of pepyr, poudyr
	of ginger & canell & ale & aleye hit. Take brede; cut hit in
	gobettys. Tost hem, couch hem yn disches. Loke thy syrup be
	salt; yyf hit a coulour of safron and serve hit forthe.

As I read it:
	Take marrow; and put it in a pot with honey, ground pepper,
	ginger, cinnamon, and beer, and combine it.
	Take bread, cut it into peices. toast it and put the bread in
	dishes. Look that the syrup is seasoned, color it with
	saffron and serve it forth

As I interpret it:
	1/2 cup ground marrow
	1 cup honey
	1 cup beer
	1/2 tsp ground pepper
	1/2 tsp ground ginger
	1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
	a few threads of saffron
	Salt to taste
	Thick hearty bread (like a "peasant" loaf) cut into large
	     croutons and toasted
	Put the marrow in a pot with the honey and beer, and cook
	on low heat, being careful not top let it froth over. skim off the
	scum and add the ginger pepper and cinnamon, adjust
	seasonings to tase, adding salt, if needed, and cook it
	down until a little to thicken. when it is thickend enough,
	then add a few crushed threads of saffron to color it and
	pour it over the croutons just to cover them.

	Leche Lumbard
the original:
	Boyle datys in swete wyne; grynd hem. Draw hem with the
	same wyne as chargeaunt as ye may do em, yn a pott with sygure.
	Boyle hit. Put therto poudur of gynger & canell, a grete dele;
	stere hit well togedyr. Yf hit be nowghte styfe ynowght, put
	thereto hard yolks of eyron or gratyd brede; or els thu may
	boyle brawn and draw hit thorow a streynour withour eny lycour.
	in the boylyng, do hit togedyr. Also thu may do with al maner
	of leche lumbard that thu makyste, and yn lentyn tyme thu may
	hav of sundez of stockfisch. when hit ys boyled, take out of the
	pott; do hit on a bord. Presse hit togedyr. when hit is colde,
	cut hit in brede leches & serve hit forth, a leche or ii in a dysch,

	and power a little clarre aboven.

As I read it:
	Boil dates in sweet wine; and grind them. Mix them with the
	same wine as thick as you want, in a pot with sugar.
	Boil hit. Put thereto Powdered ginger & cinnamon, a great deal;
	stir it well together. If it be not Stiff enough, put
	thereto hard yolks of eggs or grated bread; or else you may
	boil brawn and draw it through a strainer without any liquid.
	In the boiling, do it together. This you may also do with all manner

	of leche lumbard that you make, and in Lent you may
	use, on Sundays, brawn of stockfish. When it is boyled, take out of
the
	pot; do it on a board. Press it together. When it is cold,
	cut hit in braod slices & serve it forth, a sice or two in a dysch,
	and pour a little claret above.

As I interpret it:
	1 cup dried Dates
	Sweet red Wine
	Claret or other "dessert" wine
	1 tsp powdered ginger
	1 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
	1/4 cup sugar
	crushed egg yolks
	finley crushed white bread crumbs

	Cook the dates in the wine until they plump, and drain,
	reserving the liquid. Put the dates through a grinder or
	processor until they are smooth. Put the dates back
	into the pot with a little of the reserved wine, and the sugar
	and set the pot on medium heat. Add the ginger and
	cinnamon, and cook it until it is reduced and syrupy. add
	the egg yolks and/or bread crumbs set the heat to low.
	Stir the mixture continuously until thick and it starts to
	come away from the sides of the pot. Pour it onto a board
	dusted with crumbs and form it into a loaf shape (adding
	crumbs as needed) and refridgerate. when it is cooled,
	slice it into thick slices and serve it up with a gentle
	sprinkling of the claret.

	Lentyn Foyles

the original:
	Take the same manner of herbes as thu dost to jowtys, and
	onions clene paryd. Perbolye hem, presse out the watyr. Do
	hem in a potte. Frye reysons in clere oyle that have be fryed
	yn before, and do thereto wit a perty of the oyle, and boyle
	hit up with the mylke of almondys; and put therto sugure & salte.

as I read it:
	Take the same greens as you would for Jowtys ("kale and
	parsely and other good herbs"), and peeled onions. Parboil
	them, and press out the water. Place them in a pot. Fry
	raisons in clear oil that has been fried in before, and put
	them in the pot with some of the oil, and boil
	it up with the milk of almonds; and add sugar & salt.

As I interpret it:
	2-3 cups Assorted greens and herbs (kale, mustard, broccoli rabe,
	parsely, fennel, endive, etc)
	2 medium Spanish Yellow onions
	1/4 cup Raisins
	2 cups white Almond milk
	Light Oil
	Sugar and salt to taste

	Wash and parboil the greens, just until bright green and
	slightly tender, (not grey and mushy).
	Plunge the greens in cold water to stop cooking. Peel
	and slice the onions (longitudinally) and parboil them
	until slightly translucent, and plunge them as above.
	Drain and press greens and onions between paper towels
	to remove excess water, and place them in a pan. Add a
	couple tablespoons of oil to a frypan and heat. when hot
	add the raisins, tossing and stirring vigorously. When raisins
	are heated through and plumped, add them along with
	the pan oil to the greens, and stir on low heat until the mess
	is heated through and well combined. Add salt and sugar to
	taste, and mess it forth in dishes.

	Chickyn yn gretney
the original:
	Boyle chickens in good broth, and rese the thyys and the wyngys
	& the brestys. Take mylke of almonds unblanched; draw up withe
	the same brothe & poudyr of canell & a perty of wyne, sygure,
	saffron, & salt. Do hit togedyr yn a pott; set on the fyre.
	Stere hit when hit boyles. Sesyn hit up with poudyr of gyngyr
	& verjus. Lay the chikenys hote yn disches. Have yolkes of
	eyron soden hard, and fryed a lytyll; couch on aboute the
	wyngez & the thyes.

as I read it:
	Boil chickens in good broth, and cut off the thighs, wings
	& the breasts. Take Almond Milk fom unblanched almonds;
	some of the same broth & powdered cinnamon & wine,
	sugar, saffron, & salt. put it together in a pot; set on the fire.
	Stir it when it boils. Season it up with powdered ginger
	& verjus. Lay the chikens hot in dishes. Have yolks of
	hard boiled eggs, and fried a little; lay them about the
	wings & the thighs.

As I interpret it:
	Interpretation coming...

	Sauce camelyn
the original:
	Take whyte bred & draw hit in the maner if sauce gynger, with
venyger; & put therto poudyr of canell, a grete dele, & poudyr of gynger &
poudyr lumbard, and draw hit ayen, & yf thu wilt, draw a lytyll mustard
therewith, & sesyn it up with sygure that hit be doucete, Salt hit & color
hit with saffron.

I need to find out what exactly is "poudyr lumbard"
Does anyone have a clue what this is?

Brandu