SC - Salad questions

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Oct 21 08:06:47 PDT 1998

Hiya from Anne-Marie
Meslisant asks us about period (Elizabethan) salads.

None of them look at all familiar to me, except the one that starts:
> To compound an excellent Sallet, and which indeed is usall at great
Feasts,
> and upon Princes Tables<snip>

That one is from _The English Hous-wife_  c. 1615. One of my favorites! and
believe it or not, it gets inhaled at banquets. Who says they wont eat
salad??? :)

re: Apicius salads, dont forget to look at #84. Fresh cukes dressed with
vinegar, honey, liquamen, pepper, broth,. rue (or its equivalent) and a bit
of asafetida. Yum! and so quick to make!

have fun with your project...
- --AM
Madrone/An TIr
Seattle/WA