SC - Alcohol law in the SCA-personal thoughts

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Oct 21 08:28:20 PDT 1998

Bear said something that sounded like:
> This is about how we used to handle it, a private club on a leased site.
> When the group wanted to serve beer, we picked up kegs and everyone who
> wanted to drink "donated" $3 to the tavern.

While this is certainly doable, we have just asked for any donation. In
the most recent tavern we hosted in Bryn Gwlad, we stated outright that
all donations would be used for prizes at the upcoming competition at
Candlemas. Having a recommended and/or required donation, can get you into
trouble with local authorities a lot, just ask the fraternaties and such.

> Since it was officially 3.2
> beer, it is not classed as an "alcoholic beverage" and it was legal at most
> of the sites we used.

This is something that has amazed me while investigating Oklahoma laws.
With wine, they recognize it as of .5% alcohol by volume, but with beer
it is not recognized until they are at 3.2% alcohol by weight which is
4% by volume. I have no clue what those beers below 3.2% are considered
or if they are regulated.

Btw, I don't think it's that they are "alcoholic beverages" after 3.2%,
but that they are "intoxicating beverages". I unfortunately don't have
my copy of the ABLE guildelines in front of me.

> The state vintning license permits the vintner to provide his products to
> his family and friends.

This is true, but has a limitation as I was told by the Oklahoma ABLE
Commission.

> The Oklahoma
> Alcoholic Beverage Control Board does not want to rock the boat, so they are
> not asking for a change.  On the otherhand, the ABC has not prosecuted
> homebrewers.

Actually ABLE referred me to the Oklahoma Tax Commission since they are
the one who regulates brewing. If that doesn't thicken the murkiness of
how to figure out who is in charge of what, I don't know what does. I
have not heard back from the Oklahoma Tax Commission to date.

Ciao,

- --