SC - Piers Ploughman

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Wed Oct 21 10:35:38 PDT 1998

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Ian van Tets wrote:

> Hello again!
>
> The quote in Piers Ploughman (IIRC) is that he has no _eggs_,
> 'collops for to fry'.  He was lamenting being extremely poor - I
> don't think he was in any position to buy red meat.
>
> Cairistiona

If you look at the full quote - which is very valuable primary evidence -
he goes through a list of the foods he eats in poor season (winter or
spring while still planting) and then talks about what he will eat once
the harvest is in and the meat animals are killed.  An excellent quotation
about the seasonal differences in food availability.

elaina