SC - Re: wooden cutting boards

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Thu Oct 22 00:41:17 PDT 1998

>From Anne-Marie and Adamantius

>> 2) Is this phenomenon found to be active in tests of cutting boards more
>than,
>> say, a year old, in terms of active use
>?
>
>The article actually stated that coatings like the mineral oil  on the
>wooden boards from the factory would abrograte this effect, since its the
>plain ol' wood that seems to pack the punch.

Mineral oils do not seem to have any anti-bacterial effect that I know of.
Olive oil, however, is a great disinfectant. I use it on my cutting board
(whenever I notice it starting to dry out), and it has been proved
(somewhere, but of course I can't remember) that this is as good a
disinfectant as any other kitchen one. If the board is well enough
impregnated with olive oil, it can be scrubbed etc. with no ill effects to
the wood (my cutting board's a AUS$60 end-grain blackwood one... Very
expensive, but worth it - After 3 years of constant use, it's barely got a
mark on it). Olive oil is also wonderful at stopping knives and swords,
cauldrons etc. from rusting. A truely useful liquid.

Another (similar, but non-cookery) use of olive oil (sworn by in Roman
times) was as a spermicide! Kills the little blighters stone dead,
apparently.

Glenda