SC - hey Clarisia....

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Fri Oct 23 04:20:53 PDT 1998

> Considering the good and viable advice that all the kind folks gave on the
> Server problem maybe you should tell them the outcome.... <largish grin>
>
> Micaylah

Okay, okay, but you didn't even come over to hear the fireworks!

After a couple days of biffing back and forth e-mail, I made my
position clear in that I expected servers and if they thought I
didn't need them then they should have asked me or chosen another
cook.  This prompted a rather frantic telephone call on the part of
the autocrat.

After much talk on her part about how it was obviously a
misunderstanding (which I was willing to accept if they were going to
give me my way), she told me that she just wanted a good event and
didn't like me threatening to quit.  I replied that I just wanted a
good feast, but that if they couldn't trust me they should find
someone else -- not a threat, a statement of fact.  She admitted that
$100 wouldn't break their budget (we give servers 1/2 price feast),
but that it had made the junior autocrat nervous and she had
panicked.

So, I get my servers.  There isn't enough time to get lots of people
to sign up, so if I want servers I have to find them myself but they
still get the price break.  The 2 Viscounts in our Canton have
claimed the "right" to serve head table, and that is fine with me.
Apparently they caused a big problem last year, but no one explained
ahead of time what they expected of them.  I plan on forwarding the
detailed server plan to them sometime next week so they have plenty
of warning.  Hopefully House Xiphias (the fencers) and the Choir will
agree to serve (since at least now I can give them a price break),
and I'll make them a fishy soteltie (their badge has a sword fish on
it) in gratitude.

I hope people don't think I was being a prima dona about all of this,
but this is the first feast in years where I have been top dog, and
it was really important to me to do it RIGHT.  I have serveral junior
cooks (kitchen stewards in training) under me, who now think that
doing it as period as possible is just the way it should always be
done <happy sigh>.   As well, our King will be here (First King of
Ealdormere, to be Crowned tomorrow), and he gave me my AoA when he
was Prince (of the Principality) several years ago for cooking and
sotelties, etc, so I guess I sort of want to show off for him a bit.

Thank you all for your support.  This list is my inspiration.

Claricia Nyetgale
  Still Cocinera for Feast of the Hare 20 (2 weeks and counting!)