SC - July Tavern event

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Oct 23 23:37:42 PDT 1998

Badger asked:

> I have volunteered to take over the lunch part of an event in July in
> for my shire. I plan to do an a-la carte tavern. I would like to keep
> costs down as much as possible while having a large veriety of
> munchies available. I would like suggestions of 'period' preserved
> foods that I will be able to take to war the next month.

Some of the files in my Florilegium might be of interest to you. As I
haven't made too many of these, I can't give you specific comments on
their cost and taste although the original posters sometimes mention
this.

finger-foods-msg  (15K) 10/17/97    Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events.

campfood-msg      (50K)  2/24/97    Non-refrig., period food for camping events.
food-storage-msg  (91K)  4/ 9/98    Storing and preserving food in period. Non-
                                      refrigerated food for camping and Pennsic.
pickled-food-msg  (60K)  9/21/98    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
  (since you mentioned preserved foods)

eggs-msg          (95K)  8/21/98    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
  (since I think you mentioned deviled eggs)

Perhaps some tarts or small meat pies which can be cooked in small
individual pie crusts?

meat-pies-msg     (57K)  7/ 7/98    Period meat pies. Recipes.
To_Mke_A_Tart-art (20K) 11/30/93    Article on medieval recipes using a cheese-
                                      onion tart as an example.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Hope this helps.

Stefan li Rous