SC - re: Tasting Dinners

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Mon Oct 26 03:28:53 PST 1998

Meadhbh here...

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Now compare this to the head table. Who sits there? A leader who is selected
> only because he can swing a club better than others at a particular contest.

But Stefan, this 'leader' is still the crown (be they king or queen) and they do get to
be treated different then the rest of us no matter how they were 'chose'. Its the way
the game is played. So, if it means presenting a dish to them that is a bit more
decorative and special, so it goes.  It really doesn't affect the feast budget that
much to do so.  And it does ad to the ambience of the feast.  I am not advocating
making the high table a totally different meal. I do advocate making the presentation
spectacular by adding additional ingredients that would do so.This includes people
donating special items for the high table. And to be honest, just about every feast I
have attended that had special dishes (not on the feast menu) presented to the crown. I
have usually seen those dishes shared with the populace.
And I don't think the IRS will shut us down for doing this either.

> In some kingdoms, only people invited by the previous winner are even allowed
> to participate in the contest to select the next leader. The other way
> to get to the head table is to be friends of the same leader. Or perhaps a
> Baron and Baroness, who are picked not by an election of members, but are
> selected again by a small, select minority.

Again, that is the right of the crown or the landed nobility of the event to invite who
they wish to sit with them.  I have no problem with it.

> Part of my concern is also how the IRS would view taking a chunk of SCA group
> funds or event fees to enrich a small, select minority of the group. The
> funds are probably so small that they wouldn't care, but I am not a tax
> attorney or even an accountant. Recently, there was a ruling from the
> BoD(?) along similar lines of group funds being used to purchase presents
> for outgoing officers, so there must be some concern in some quarters
> about such things.

For gifts yes, but for ' dishes decorated differently at a feast ',  I don't think so.

In service,

Meadhbh ni Ruaidh o Chonnemara, OL

> Lord Stefan li Rous, AST, ASC
> Ansteorra
> stefan at texas.net
>
> And no, I don't hide in caves. Although the hot tub might be nice right now.
> Lots better than the boiling lead I can imagine headed this way.

- --
ÿWPCT