SC - re: Tasting Dinners

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 26 05:44:20 PST 1998

In a message dated 10/26/98 2:26:26 AM Eastern Standard Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Part of my concern is also how the IRS would view taking a chunk of SCA
group
 funds or event fees to enrich a small, select minority of the group >>

Since the documented purposes of the SCA and the 'ideals' that any particular
imagination can come up with vary considerably, I fail to see the relevence of
your observation. So long as the funds are being used for the stated LEGAL
purpose of the organization which is educational (as opposed to 'charitable')
purposes there is no problem. In fact, I am astounded that a person of your
caliber would concieve that idividual interpretations of the Dream would be
seriously considered in making any descisions within the organization; or, if
they were considered they would carry any relevance.

I do agree with you that the government of the SCA is based upon non-
democratic forms; however, I feel this is a good thing. Any mention of
democracy, fairness, or other ideals stemming from a mundane sense of
'rightness' is totally irrelevant when discussing the legal aspects of the
corporation.

Regarding your viewpoint that those with title are a 'priveleged' few, I
agree. However, ANYONE can become one of those few technically. Unfortunately
there is no standards for elevation. Those who are already in a position of
authority seem content to make sure no minimal standards are adopted.
Ultimately elevation in non-combat areas seems to be not based upon talent,
dedication to the organization, willingness to teach, service or any other
logical criteria but rather on the whims of a few. In SCA combat, if you
choose not to hit someone harder than they hit you, you are placing yourself
outside the possible list of candidates. This does not mean that the
opportunity is not there for all. There is no difference between choosing not
to fight in Crown and choosing not to use archery equipment. The point being
that the opportunity to be elevated, outside of Arts and Sciences, are based
entirely on whether you choose to participate. If there is any elitism , it is
to be found solely in the arena of Arts and Sciences.

Anyway, friend Stefan, I feel your fears of misuse of funds based on the
arguments you presented in your post are ill concieved when viewed in the
light of SCAdian official documents.

These opinions are my own and do not reflect official policy of the SCA, Inc.
:-)

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Ras