SC - My Upcoming feast... menu ver 1.0

Gedney, Jeff gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Mon Oct 26 07:10:57 PST 1998

> >the original:
> >	Take marye; do hit yn a pot with hony, poudyr of pepyr, poudyr
> >	of ginger & canell & ale & aleye hit. Take brede; cut hit in
> >	gobettys. Tost hem, couch hem yn disches. Loke thy syrup be
> >	salt; yyf hit a coulour of safron and serve hit forthe.
> >
> >As I read it:
> >	Take marrow; and put it in a pot with honey, ground pepper,
> >	ginger, cinnamon, and beer, and combine it.
> >	Take bread, cut it into peices. toast it and put the bread in
> >	dishes. Look that the syrup is seasoned, color it with
> >	saffron and serve it forth
> >
> >As I interpret it:
> >	1/2 cup ground marrow
> >	1 cup honey
> >	1 cup beer
>
> I can't prove it, and I don't think I have ever done the recipe, but my
> guess, from the way the recipe is written, would be that marrow is the
> major ingredients, with the other things flavoring it. Note, for example,
> that hony, pepper, cinamon and ginger are all given in parallel, as if
> they
> serve the same role.
>

> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

My rationale lies in the description of this as "syrup" I think it is more
Syrup than Soup. I think that *THAT* much marrow with honey would probably
make it extremely thick, more of a paste than a texture consistent with
soaking into bread (soppes).  Also I do not subscribe to the idea that the
order that this particular author lists ingredients has anything to do with
proportion. I think from the way he writes, that he assumes the reader will
understand how much of what to add to get the desired result -- the only
time he uses any description of portion is when the ingredient is to be
added in larger than expected quantity, and then he simply says "a grete
dele". A lot of marrow will make this a VERY rich dish, IMHO. I simply
decided on what sounded like a judiciously tasty amount, to me.

Brandu