SC - butterkase?

Tue Oct 27 04:12:00 PST 1998

> From: 	Balano1 at aol.com[SMTP:Balano1 at aol.com]
>
> << Ok, newbie cook question time. What's "butterkase"? >>
>
> Butter cheese?  Not sure exactly what it is, not being much of a cheese
> eater
> but it is still sold in the German markets.  Have seen it in the market in
> Berlin - a common item.

IIRC (and I admit memory is poor on this one), butterkase is a hard rind
cheese similar in shape to provolone.  There is a square of butter in the
center of the cheese.  It allows one to keep butter for extended periods
without refrigeration.  The technique was developed for the Hanseatic trade.

I haven't seen any for years and I may have put the wrong name to it.

Bear