SC - OT/OOP: Re - Commonwealth?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 27 21:38:44 PST 1998

geneviamoas at juno.com wrote:

> If Catholics ruled when it was settled the area was devided into Parishes
> - ie. Parish Priest - because it, IIRC, delineated an area that could be
> covered by one priest / judge / ... could reasonably cover.  Many times
> the priest was the Power in the area.
> $.02
> Genevia

If that were the case, Maryland would be the same, and as far as I know, is
not. As far as I know, Louisiana is the only place in the U.S. which uses
parishes as a political delineation, which has more to do with being a
relatively recent French colony than with the Catholic Church. I think the
role of the Church in secular government is vastly overestimated by most people.

I'm always interested in this topic because I live in a city that was,
_relatively_ recently, the Dutch city of Nieuw Amsterdam, since absorbed by
the English colony of New York, and ultimately by New York State. What that
means is that New York City still has vestigial traces of its Dutch
government, such as an entirely separate level of borough government, in
addition to the various functions overseen by the various counties. Never mind
that the seats of these counties are a single municipality that is larger than
the counties themselves, and that the map delineation, for example, Kings
County and the Borough of Brooklyn are identical, as are, with the only
exception being the Bronx, which is a separate borough from Manhattan, but
which, with Manhattan, forms New York County.

This probably helps explain why our taxes are so high... .

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy