SC - butterkase?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 27 07:41:01 PST 1998

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Bear said:
>
> > I believe butter would do better with lean venison or salmon.  Of course,
> > one might use butterkase, if one could find it.
>
> Ok, newbie cook question time. What's "butterkase"?

German "butter" = butter, "kase" = cheese. It's a type of cheese found in
Germany (although I couldn't swear it isn't made elsewhere too), which is
mild, pale yellow, and extremely high in butterfat (~50-60%, IIRC). What
surprised me about it is that it still has a rather protein-y firmness, not
what you'd associate with butter. In texture it's somewhere between Muenster
and mozzarella, and doesn't seem to be regarded as a spreadable cheese.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy