SC - Intro and Bread Request

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Oct 29 07:03:35 PST 1998

>> First off, I'm not an SCA Cook (do I hears gasps all around?), but I do
>> enjoy baking a tasty and interesting loaf of bread or two. Only recently
>> has my bread-baking interest turned toward medieval breads. Any bakers out
>> there?
>>
>I do a little baking.
<snip>

Me too.  There is a bread recipe for Rastons in both Harleian 279 and 4016
that has been posted here before.

 Julius E.
>Wihlfahrt, A Treatise on Baking (if you can find it).  <snip>

EEEK!  I have a copy! (I bought it for 50 cents(!) at the library book
sale.  Tattered,with lots of crayon scribbles, alas!) You mean to tell me
someone else has actually heard of this book?

Before the rest of you ask, the title is:
"A Treatise on Flour, Yeast, Fermentation and Baking together with Recipes
for Bread and Cakes, fourth edition revised.  by Julius Emil Wihlfahrt,
1915.  Presented with the compliments of The Fleischmann Co.
This is a promo piece for Fleischmann's yeast, originally published 1905.
It was written for commercial bakers, & all the recipes are in commercial
quantities.

I have just emailed the Fleischmann's Yeast Co. asking permission to scan &
post this book.  We'll have to wait & see what they say...

Regards,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net