SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Thu Oct 29 11:43:27 PST 1998

> ----------
> From: 	Shari Burnham[SMTP:pndarvis at execpc.com]
>
> > What this translates into is that if a person insists on being treated
> as a
> > peasant then they should line up at the back door and wait for the
> leftovers
> > and scraps to be thrown out to them.
> >

> Come on now Ras, I have hunting dogs to feed.  The poor at the door can
> get their
> alms from the church.

Let the cook send a haunch of properly prepared meat to the dogs.  They
worked for it.  Send the sodden trenchers to the back door, that you may
provide the poor your generous charity as befits a true noble.

> I also agree that it is
> > absurd for 2 or 3 individuals (whether they are veggies or allergic)
> should
> > reasonably assume that it would be appropriate to ask that a feast for
> 100
> > plus people be specifically geared toward their special needs or wants.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there is an insidious social custom afoot today which
> > erroneously thinks that because one person is offended by something
> there is
> > some kind of obligation to cater to that selfish whim.
> >
> > Ras
>
> Being a vegetarian myself, I would find it WRONG if someone tried to
> accomodate
> little ole me instead of the needs of 100+ people. (and I think it's wrong
> when
> others do as well.  Ya don't like it? allergic? DON'T EAT IT!!!!) I have
> never
> been at a feast that there was something I could NOT eat.

I have several goals when planning a feast.  You will eat well, as befits a
noble.  There will be enough variety, that no matter their vows, any may
make a meal.  There will be enough food that the appetite will be satiated.
The bake goods will fresh, tasty, and better than any which can be obtained
from other than a true bakery (hmmm, must be some kind of ego thing).

The allergic I try to warn, and I haven't had any run ins with rabid
vegetarians (we're heavy on carnivores around here).  In fact the only
complaint I can remember was from a conservative Jew, who planned to eat the
chicken which did not get cooked properly when I lost all the ovens.
Wolfstar offered him a fire on which to cook a chicken.  Since I couldn't
salvage the chicken course, I gave him some birds to share with Wolfstar.

While I don't go out of my way to cater to special needs, I try to make sure
they are addressed as part of the meal.

Bear