SC - OT - Social Customs

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 29 12:37:12 PST 1998

        Ras said:  "Unfortunately, there is an insidious social custom
     afoot today which erroneously thinks that because one person is
     offended by something there is some kind of obligation to cater to
     that selfish whim.  I, like you, ignore such insensitivity to the
     needs of the majority who are trying to experience as closely as
     possible the way they did things in the MA."

        Leanna (stepping up on her soapbox):  I echo Ras' opinion here.  I
     have daily contact with internationals.  It still burns my buns that
     while in their country, I must follow their customs (dress especially)
     and do my best to conform to accepted practices or suffer the
     consequences.  While in the US, many use social customs from their
     birthplace, despite obvious differences.
        Years ago, my son chose a friend from a family of practicing
     Vegans.  I spoke to the boy's mother about acceptable menus.  I
     learned a lot about vegetarianism, and made a new friend.
        IMHO, if I were attending a feast, and I avoid particular foods for
     any reason, I would take it upon myself to check out the menu prior to
     reserving, and/or bringing food with me.  In fact, I usually carry
     something to nibble on anyway, because of the times a feast scheduled
     for 6 pm didn't get going until 7 (or 8 or ?).  Not griping, I just
     have medication to take on a schedule with food.