SC - Payn Ragoun questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 29 14:19:29 PST 1998

At 2:35 PM -0600 10/27/98, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>	<recipe clipped>
>> togyder til it bigynne to thik, and cast it on a wete table; lesh it
>> and serue it forth with fryed mete, on flessh dayes or on fysshe
>> dayes. " Curye on Inglisch IV: 68
>>

>> 2.  I know that "mete" doesn't necessarily mean meat, but this says
>> to serve it on flesh or fish days with fried "mete".  Should this
>> literally be "meat" in this instance or am I misunderstanding.
>>
>> Thanks to anyone who has a clue.
>>
>> Claricia Nyetgale
>>
>I believe what is meant is to serve it with fried meat on flesh days or by
>itself on fish days.

I would have guessed with fried meat on meat days and with fried fish on
fish days.  If you look at Chiquart's _Du Fait de Cuisine_. where he has
parallel meat day and fish day menus, he is over and over serving a
particular dish of meat in the meat menu and a very similar dish of fish
for the no-meat menu.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook