SC - Vegetable Names

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 29 17:53:55 PST 1998

At 3:33 PM -0600 10/29/98, Melissa Martines wrote:

>If anyone has any documentation or educated guesses about what the following
>items are, please let me know.  Thanks in advance!!
>
>Rote of persel
Parsley roots

>Rafens
Radish

>Rapes
Turnips

>Caboches
Cabbages

>Also, did we ever determine if raisin of courance were currents or raisins?

currants--the kind that are really little raisins, not the kind that are
ribes fruits (as in red currant jam).

The glossaries of _Curye on Englysche_ and _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery
Books_ are useful sources for this sort of thing, as is the OED.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/