SC - Verjuice - just a couple of questions

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Fri Oct 30 03:19:45 PST 1998

Ok, I have 2 major questions about verjuice which, after checking the
Florilegium I still can't answer.

1.  I want to try a recipe and don't have time to make verjuice (and
can't buy it -- you'll see why in Q2), so what can I use for a
substitute that is TOTALLY non-alcoholic?  Would white grape juice
cut it?  I keep seeing Pleyn Delite use lemon juice but that doesn't
seem quite right.

2.  I'm considering making some verjuice - having looked at Ras'
recipe (the one that involves crabapples).  The recipe says to let it
sit for 48 hours.  Is this for fermentation?  (I have no clue when it
comes to this sort of thing)  I have sensitivities to something in
wine (although I can eat grapes), as well as religious reasons for
avoiding any form of alcohol, so if it's going to ferment I guess I
have a complication.

I really don't want to go back to the old allergies / sensitivities
discussion, or talk about whether or not we should cater to someones
dietary restrictions.  I would prefer a period solution, but I have
no intention of ingesting something that might make me wish I could
die for the better part of a week for the sake of taste testing (not
to mention the hideous religious implications).

Thanks.

Claricia Nyetgale
(Ottawa, Ontario)
<Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca>