SC - Broccoli-a new world food?

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 10:15:59 PST 1998

>> I knew Cauliflower was - wasn't sure about Broccoli. Was it refered
>> as Broccoli or did it have another name?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> 	Meliora.
>>
>They're all varieties of cabbage.

Yes, all related, nevertheless, my sister in law constantly reminds me
that she is allergic to broccoli and then turns around and eats cabbage
and brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

That said, I was almost certain the broccoli was new.  So new in fact
that I learned this when I read of the death of the Italian immigrant
who bred it and for whom it is named.  I suppose it is possible that he
simply named a particular variation that gained popularity in this
century.

Bonne