SC - pomegranate chicken

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Sun Oct 4 17:43:23 PDT 1998

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Kathleen M Hogan wrote:

> Thanks, but that d oesn't help....I don't  have internet access.
>
> Caitlin NicFhionghuin
> House Oak and Thistle

the original is from the translation in The Medieval kitchen by Odile
Redon.  the redaction is my own loosely based on both the recipe and the
redaction in the book.

Romania
To make romania, fry chickens with pork fat and onions, crush unskinned
almonds, and moisten with the juice of sour pomegranates and sweet
pommegranates.  Then strain and boil with the chickens, stirring with a
spoon.  Add spices.
Liber de coquina

Comments:  This is found in an early Italian manuscript and is probably
based on an arabic sourse.  The word for pomegranate in arabic being
"rumman".

For a table of eight:
        one chicken cut up (or a variety of 8-10 chicken pieces)
        1 cup of almonds
        2 pomegranates, 1 lemon
        1 small onion
        lard or olive oil
        salt, pepper, cloves (ground), nutmeg (whole)

- - Grind the almonds
- - Juice the pomegranates and lemon together, reserving a few dozen
pomegranate seeds for garnish.
- - Make an "almond milk" from the almonds and the juice.  Strain through
cheesecloth and set aside.
- - Cut the onions
- - Brown the chicken and onions in the oil or lard
- - Put the chicken in a casserole or baking pan, add spices,  and pour the
sauce over it.
- - Cover and cook in a slow oven (300 degrees) until chicken is tender.
- - Serve garnished with pomegranate seeds.