SC - Alcohol in Cooking (Long)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 18:36:31 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/4/98 12:55:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bagbane at ix2.ix.netcom.com writes:

<< IMHO, I really don't think people should be scared and not use
 alcohol in their feasts unless you can 'taste' the alcohol in it (ie
 brandied cherries over  custard ). The problem isn't from a
 recovering alcoholic tasting the dish that had been deglazed with
 wine and going on a binge, but the reaction that someone taking
 anabuse. >>

Actually, in our shire, the problem is someone with a familial allergy to both
alcohol and the sulfites normally used in it.  Even if the alcohol did cook
all the way out, she'd still get sick from the sulfites.  So we limit dishes
with alcohol in them, and if it is a one dish thing, like a lunch, either use
a recipe that doesn't call for alcohol, make a small portion without alcohol,
or substitute.  Not because she expects us to, but, at least for me, because I
like her to be able to eat with the rest of us, and she likes period food.

Brangwayna