SC - Fish and Vinegar

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Sun Oct 4 18:48:11 PDT 1998

Ok, so this is really two separate questions:

Last Sat., when we were at Silver Dollar City, My very sweet husband
decided to surprise me and got a reprint of _The Art of Cookery made
Plain and Easy_ By Mrs. Glasse for me. Now , I know it's not medieval,
but its still interesting (and history).
I've only been puzzled (so far!) by one thing: In the fish section, Mrs.
Glasse has a recipe To boil Soals. What the heck type of fish is a soal?

On a more medieval note,
I was looking thro' _Herbal Vinegar_by Maggie Oster for Christmas gift
ideas, and in the history (without documentation) section, she mentions
that...
	"By the thirteenth century, a wide selection of vinegars -
including those flavored with clove,chicory, fennel, ginger, truffle,
raspberry, mustard, and garlic- was commonly sold by street vendors in
Paris. Pepper vinegar was especially popular during the Middle Ages
because wine that contained pepper was not taxed on importation into
Paris."

Now were could I start to justify this statement (preferably in English
translation)? Has anyone else run across this pepper vinegar in French
sources?

Beatrix
Oakheart/Calontir
Springfield, MO