SC - Redact definitions (was RE: FAQ)

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Mon Oct 5 09:27:00 PDT 1998

Good cooks all,

It is not my purpose to pick the proverbial nit, but to share my understanding of the word redact as it has recently grown today.  I flung the word around willy-nilly as if I knew what it meant (sort of 'to translate into useful state').  I found in the OED a few more nuances and facets to the word that can be important and useful to our needs (see below).

The dated references using the term are actually quite useful, and give great context to how we may use the word accurately in our current discourses.

pace e bene,

niccolo difrancesco
(did everyone notice how considerately I changed the header to show the direction of my post?)

redact ridæ;kt, v. Also pa. t. 5 redact. f. L. redact-, ppl. stem of redigere to bring back, collect, reduce, etc., f. re(d)- re- + agere to drive, etc.: see act v. The form redact for the pa. t. (cf. prec.) is frequent in the later version of Higden. In its mod. use, the verb has been reintroduced in the 19th c. (after redaction); Ash (1775) and Todd (1818) mark it as `not used'.

1. trans. To bring (matter of reasoning or discourse) into or to a certain form; to put together in writing. Obs.

    1432-50 tr. Higden (Rolls) III. 251 Aristotille redacte hit [logic] in an arte.

    1432-50 tr. Higden 253 The Romanes didde redresse and redacte these lawes of Salon [sic] in to x. tables.

    C. 1550 Lloyd Treas. Health Y vj b, The aphorismes of Hippocrates redacted vnto a certayne order.

    1597 A. M. tr. Guillemeau's Fr. Chirurg. *iiij b, They have redacted them together, because they might the easyer be vnderstoode.

    1639 Drummond Conv. w. B. Jonson Wks. (1711) 225 Ben Johnson..cursed Petrarch for redacting verses into sonnets.

2. To bring together into one body. Obs.

    1432-50 tr. Higden (Rolls) I. 209 After that Romulus redacte alle the cites in to oon.

    1432-50 tr. Higden II. 273 Augustus..redacte in to oon monarchy the realmes of alle the worlde.

    1550 Veron Godly Sayings (1846) 50 Those things whiche can be redacted into some one thynge of manye.

4. In modern use:

a. To draw up, frame (a statement, decree, etc.).

    1837 Carlyle Fr. Rev. I. v. ii, The oath is redacted; pronounced aloud by President Bailly.

    1845 Carlyle Cromwell (1871) I. 101 The House of Commons..was busy redacting a `Protestation'.

    1860 W. G. Clark in Vac. Tour. 46 A council of ministers was held in the palace..: they were engaged in redacting the two proclamations.

b. To put (matter) into proper literary form; to work up, arrange, or edit.

    1851 Carlyle Sterling iii. v, Sterling..redacts it in a Times leader.

    1884 Times 1 Nov. 9 Their observations are recorded, tabulated, digested, and redacted in every possible way.