SC - Canning-direct me for a good start?

Diana Haven tantralya at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 5 10:43:36 PDT 1998

>>>I realized that I have done some pickling (type of pickles good after
a couple
of days) and vinegars, and even some beer/wine brewing, but never any
canning,
including jellies/preserves.  Asking the kitchen goddesses/gods on this
list,
help direct me.  Recommend a good beginner's preserves recipe. (or for
canning
fruit or veggies) A list of what I need to have.  Tips and Tricks to
remember or
watch out for.  Good articles or books to cross reference.  That way I
can
experiment a bit this weekend.

Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis<<<

Um....I wish I could help you here.  I was taught canning/preserving at
my mother's knee.  We didn't actually "measure" stuff.  Mom and Grandma
did almost all recipes by 'feel'.  I was most frustrated til I got the
knack.  I remember that when canning fruits and preserves, the worst was
having to boil the jars and lids - and using the tongs to take them
outta the boil bath.  (I broke almost 2 dozen a seaon!)

I have a Farm Home Journal preserving/canning cookbook.  It has most of
what Mom taught me.

Good luck!

Diana

Everywoman is a Goddess.  Everyman is a God.  We are all
equal, so get over yourself!