SC - Sealing a Cauldron

David & Sue Carter sjcarter at dove.net.au
Mon Oct 5 23:41:31 PDT 1998

I have just about finished constructing cauldron ( 700 mm diameter) of steel
plates riveted together similar to the one found in the Osberg ship.  I am
looking to seal the seams so that it will hold water.
Question One:
Does anyone have any suggestions about how this was done in the Viking  Era
and any food safe modern alternatives that I could use.
Question Two:
Has anyone who has used one of these over an open fire any helpful
suggestions before I try it out for the first time?

Osgot         (David Carter)
Innilgard    (Adelaide)
Lochac      (Australia)