SC - Medieval cows

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 03:10:51 PDT 1998

<< Given the huge quantities of animals served at major feasts during the MA,
it
 would be absurd to assume that everytime a nobleman held a feast he would
 descimate his herds by killing 10000 chickens, 500 pigs, and 2000 milking
 cows. The large numbers of animals alone seem to show that animals were
raised
 for meat and other animals were raised for eggs, milk, etc. >>

It would not be absurd, however, to posit the thesis that these huge feasts as
recorded by household accounts were often held at the specific times of the
year said nobleman received his dues from his tenants.  Rents were usually
paid at the time of church holidays, and in return, the lord would also be
expected to feed not only his household and guests, but his tenants.  The date
given for the huge feast given by Richard II & the Duke of Lancaster is
September 23rd.  This may have been the date Michaelmas was "celebrated" in
1387, and Michaelmas is, historically speaking, the most common traditional
saints' day used to date the payment of rent, both in kind and in coin.  It
coincided quite nicely with the end of the harvest.

If we did a calendar study of the dates of these huge feasts, I'd bet we'd
find that most of them were held between September and February.  I doubt we'd
find many held in the height of summer, or the very end of winter.  But, I
haven't done such a study, nor have I read anything which suggests that such a
study has been undertaken.  It may be impossible, given the fact that medieval
man was not near as fascinated by "dating" things as we modern folk are. But
it would be interesting to know.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother