SC - 11th/12th North Western European Reciepes

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 6 05:44:32 PDT 1998

Maynard, Steven wrote:

> Greetings All,
>                 I'm new to this list and period cooking  so please forgive
> my naievity. I'm interested in getting some reciepes for post Norman
> conquest upto the end of Henry I of Englands reign. I'd prefer receipes from
> England during this period. But anything that could have been used will be
> fine.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
> William Castille=-)

The Deal As I See It is that there is some poetry from the 12th century, by
people like Alexander Neckham, describing dishes like frumenty and venison,
which suggests that the eating habits of Henry I and his crowd might be rather
similar in many respects to what was eaten by early 14th century English
nobility, for which recipes survive.

Hieatt and Butler's "Curye On Inglysch" includes manuscript sources roughly
dated at 1325 or so, if I'm not mistaken.

There is also, floating around somewhere, an early Anglo-Norman cookery
manuscript in French (13th century???), which someone else might be able to
cite publication info; I don't have a copy myself.

Then, of course, there is Rudolph Grewe's translation of an early 13th-century
Danish manuscript, published as "An Early XIII Century Northern-European
Cookbook", except there is reason to believe the recipes contained in it
originated in the Mediterranean Basin, so it is probably more Provencale than Danish.

This should give you a jumping-off point, anyway. Welcome to the list!

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy