SC - Answer-Ham recipe-Stefan's critique

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 06:09:10 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/6/98 12:49:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Is there a particular reason you clove the onion rather than just dropping
 the cloves in the cider? >>

Yes. Since the broth is used as a sauce base it is much easier finding the
whole cloves among the other bits quickly when it is time for their removal.
It also yields a wonderful subtlety of flavor that is not present when they
are just added as is.

<<Why not cut the onion up into chunks? Or are you wanting to serve the onion
whole? I would think cutting up the onion would yield up more onion flavor.>>

The long slow cooking time allows the onion to release it's essence gradually.
When the cooking process is over the onion is removed and discarded. It is not
meant to be a vegetable side to the ham but rather acts as a seasoning only.
You are correct in assuming that the onion flavor would be released in
abundance and rather quickly if the onion were chopped. That is not the type
of flavor this dish wants. What you are striving for  here is a sweet ballad
rather than the carcophany of  a brass band.

 <<And a small point, the term is cloved, not cloven. Cloven means divided,
like hooves.>>

Unless you changed it yourself in your posting the term I read as sent by you
in the recipe is 'cloved'. I fail to grasp your point here.

 <>

What a shame since the recipe is precisely designed for that type of ham. Each
to their own.

 <<Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous >>

Ras