SC - Spicerye term

Kerri L Geppert clarelena at juno.com
Tue Oct 6 08:56:48 PDT 1998

This last weekend I taught a cooking class and we redacted Yrchouns.  I
know this recipe appears in several versions which
was why it was selected (we had something to fall back on in case we got
lost!).  After we had finished and were eating our
efforts, we decided there was something missing in the flavor.  We tried
to follow the original and so did not add mace or sage
which were suggested in two of the other redactions.  While reviewing the
original recipe, our group thought that perhaps "spcierye" could
mean a spice mixture.  We came to this conclusion because of the wording:
 "knede it with Spicerye, with poudre gyngere, & Salt & Sugre"
which sounds like the ginger, salt & sugar are added in addition.  Could
this be a correct assumption and if so, what would the
"spicerye" be?  Thanks for your help with this puzzle.

Clare Elena
Canton Inbhir na da Abhann
Principality of Oertha (Alaska)
Kingdom of the West