SC - Fw: [Mid] Crown feedback/coffee

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Tue Oct 6 14:42:46 PDT 1998

Here's some information on coffee, if anyone is interested.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom

Southeastern Ohio

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: From: Baden,Doug <baden at oclc.org>
: To: 'sca-middle at dnaco.net'
: Subject: RE: [Mid] Crown feedback/coffee
: Date: Tuesday, October 06, 1998 4:41 PM
:
: Coffee:
:
: The earliest reference I can find to coffee is the Bransten coffee and
tea
: collection from 1600.  It is a collection of printed works on the
subjects
: gathered around 1600, so these would be earlier works.
:
: There is a reference to coffee in "Carta qve escrivio vn Medico
Christiano,
: que estava curando en Antiberi, à vn Cardenal de Roma, sobre la bebida
del
: cahuè, ô cafè.", contains a description of the coffee plant by the
European
: writer Prosper Alpini, in his De medicina Aegyptiorum, Venice, 1591.
Sigh,
: the only copy of Alpini  in the US is in the Library of Congress.  A road
: trip would be needed....
:
: Unless somebody out there happens to have a copy :)????
:
: Baroness Tamara was just talking with me about beer for TOC, and she has
: found documentation from the early 1500's (around 1520) decrying the
evils
: of that horrible aphrodisiac!  Since I have found many of the same in my
: search for period chocolate drinks, I can concur.
:
: There is also Antaki, Da'ud ibn 'Umar (d.1599), "The nature of the drink
: kauhi, or coffe, and the berry of which it is made" from the Tomason
: Collection (University Microfilms, 1964. (Early English books, 1641-1700
: ;140:2)).  In English and Arabic.
:
: Coffee is period, and until I prove otherwise, was made the same way it
is
: made today.  Roasted, ground and percolated.  Mind that it would not have
: been drunk outside a select group at first.  Expensive and rare....
:
: Oh, and the moral issues of this were fiercely debated, as usual :).
:
: Arundel
:
: Doug Baden    My opinions are my own.
: When I see "And it is obvious that" I know that
: I have many hours of work to see the obvious...
: