SC - Common knowledge-Observations

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 18:58:49 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/6/98 4:32:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, him at gte.net
writes:

<< I am sure that animal husbandry has been going on from the earliest
 times in every culture that raised animals.  >>

Agreed. Animal husbandry in an agricultural society is a must. One of my
favorite passages in one of Margeret Mead's books tells about a village
tribesman arguing over the quality of the pigs which were to be given as part
of the bride price. The wedding was postponed several months until the grrom's
side agreed to give up their BEST pigs. :-)

<>

Yep, so, so true. Good teeth and wide hips were a real asset. ;-)

<< Knowledge and cultures, rise and fall, and info is lost and relearned. >>

Agreed. The unfortunate thing is that in many cultures practical and common
knowledge was often left unwritten because 'everyone' knew it. What we have
left is the bizaare or the unusual. Unfortunately in the area of period
cookery that is all we have to work with.

Many times we see things like 'in the usual manner' or even 'as it is done' in
many recipes. That is where the fun starts. ;-)

Ras