SC - Weekend Tart Review and Cookie request!

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Wed Oct 7 06:24:36 PDT 1998

Schumacher, Deborah wrote:

>                 Hello all!
>                         This weekend I decided to play in the kitchen
>                 One  more thing question for this missive..  Recently  I
> bought a  craft magazine  that featured a lantern made of  modern
> gingerbread on the cover.   I thought it looked like  a lot of fun for
> display at the  Yule celebration.    However could this been done  with
> period  gingerbread? I'm all for using period  recipes when possible  but
> would modern gingerbread be  acceptable. ( I had this thought of    doing a
> stained glass effect  on the front with the   either the kingdoms or
> baronies heraldry. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>                                 As always in service
>                                         Zoe Valonin, the spice trader
>                                         Atenveldt
>                                         Atenveldt

Hi

The period gingerbread recipes I have seen seem to all be more cakey
than you could use for this purpose.

However, there is (somewhere) a period 'wafer' recipe involving flour
and honey and not much else, which cooks as hard as a rock if you make
it any thicker than a very slim wafer.

I used it to make stained glass window frames for a principality event,
then the same recipe was used with far more skill by Aelfrythe of Saxony
for the same purpose.   I will try to rummage around and see if I can
track it down for you; if noone else does before I get the chance.  If I
haven't gotten back to you within a week or so, email me privately and
remind me; I have a terrible memory.

Kiriel