SC - Re: Vivendier

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Wed Oct 7 07:37:50 PDT 1998

Jasmine says:

Really? I've been laboring under the assumption that there were
far better sources to use. I admit to knowing little about the
subject, but I had thought that other members of the list
believed that Scully was not up to snuff in the arena of
redacting/translation/creation/whatever due to use of non-period
ingredients.

It depends on what you call a "better" source, from what Adamantius tells
me. He's always giving me blazes because when I get my hands on an original
text, I want to translate it myself, whether it has a translation with it
or not. The problem seems to be that either the translator is a scholar
with little comprehension of cooking, or the translator is a cook, with
little comprehension of scholarship, which is why you need to look
carefully at ANY translation. Vehling's the worst, as far as I can tell- he
puts green (bell) peppers in ancient Rome, and doesn't give the originals.
At least when I translate something, all my mistakes are my own ;-)

The big advantage with Scully, IMO, is that he gives the original language
with his translation, so you can check for yourself if you have a question.
I'm still wincing a bit at the Anthimus translation (about 500 CE), which
gives teaspoons as a measurement.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches