SC - Sauerkraut

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Oct 6 16:13:07 PDT 1998

Ras,

>>I've just added sauerkraut to the Oct. menu. :-) Period-like, of
course, but  it WILL be there.                  Ras (Still hoping for a
recipe but will fudge it if I have to. ;-))<<

If this was a guild activity, you probably aren't going to get a recipe.
It would be a 'mystery' and carefully hidden secret.  The farm wives
would have known how to make it, but they didn't write cookbooks in
period.  Present day German sauerkraut is much sweeter than the
traditional USA stuff we've grown up with.  I didn't like it, being used
to the sharper, saltier taste, with lots of dill in it.  Now, some of the
Northern Germans may make it that way--I've lived in Frankfurt A/M, the
areas northeast of Nuremberg, and in Bavaria and Swabia.

Basically, it's shredded cabbage pickled in salt.  It's quite acidic, try
not to use an aluminum pan, but I'm sure you know that.  The differences
in 'sauerkraut' come with the way you prepare it--adding bacon pits,
wursts, onion, wine or champagne, dill seed, caraway seed, apples, etc.
These are either/or, not all together.
Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA