SC - OT - Modern American Food Trends

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 10:46:17 PDT 1998

The thing I can never understand is how people are raised to be such
bland eaters, and don't instantly jump at the chance to try new things.
I don't know where that comes in.  I can understand that you're not
going to like everything you try, certainly, but refusing to try it
because it's "new" should, IMHO, be left behind in pre-school.

Berengaria

<<<<<<<<

I think the ability to try new things without fear is a learned
behavior.  My mother made an effort to include new and different
things at dinner, for the experience.  The rule was we had to try
everything on the table, at least 2 bites.  We didn't have to finish
it if we didn't like it, but we had to try.

With my own children, we have been taking them to restaurants since
they were born, and they have been eating strange things from the
beginning.  (they we were both born in Germany when my husband was in
the Army, and there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity
to eat in Europe just because we had children.)  We have gone to
various kinds of restaurants including the buffet style, where my only
rule was that they had to have at least one vegetable thing on their
plate.

Now my daughter ,7, and my son ,9, are almost as adventurous as most
adults I have met.  My daughter especially loves Chinese food because
of the vegetables, and my son, while he prefers hamburgers to anything
will try all sorts of things.  We took them to a local Japanese
restaurant with the chef cooking hibachi style right at our table.
They loved it, and ate every morsel, with chopsticks.  They have
learned the great adventure of trying new things.

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra