SC - So I added Beer . . .

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 8 21:17:01 PDT 1998

At 1:06 PM -0500 9/22/98, Shari Burnham wrote:

>...My questions are this:  does anyone have any
>documentation on beer being added to soup or potage as flavoring?  If
>so, what types?  I have heard of using beer OOP for things like brats,
>fish, etc, but don't know about in period.
>
>Lady Elisabeth, giving new meaning to the nickname Elisabreath (I like
>strong dark beer-not too wonderful for the breath)

And since I don't think anyone ever answered it:

Stwed Mutton
Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books p. 72

Take faire Mutton that hath ben roste, or elles Capons, or suche other
flessh, and mynce it faire; put hit into a possenet, or elles bitwen ii
siluer disshes; caste thereto faire parcely, And oynons small mynced; then
caste there-to wyn, and a litull vynegre or vergeous, pouder of peper,
Canel, salt and saffron, and lete it stue on  the faire coles, And  then
serue hit forthe; if he have no wyne ne vynegre, take Ale, Mustard, and A
quantite of vergeous, and do  this in  the stede of vyne or vinegre. [end
of original; thorns replaced by th]

Wine Version
1 1/2 lb boned lamb	2 T vinegar 	1 t salt
1/4 c parsley 	1 t pepper 	3 threads saffron
2 medium onions (1 1/4 lb) 	1/2 t cinnamon 	about 1/2 c water
3/4 c wine

Beer Version
Substitute 1 c dark beer and 1/2 t ground mustard for the wine. Substitute
4 T of verjuice for the vinegar if you have it.

Roast the lamb (before boning) at 350° for about 1 hour, then chop it into
bite sized pieces. Chop onions fine. Combine all ingredients (and the
juices from roasting the lamb) in a covered stew pot; use enough water so
that there is just enough liquid to boil the meat in. Simmer it about 1/2
hour and serve it forth. It is good over rice.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook