SC - OOP: Need help cooking dinner tonight

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 9 09:32:45 PDT 1998

Erin Kenny wrote:

> Adamanteus wrote:
> > Can you describe this alleged cottage roll ;  )  ? From the context I'm
> > envisioning a boneless cured pork shoulder butt, something like a smoked pork
> > tenderloin. Am I anywhere near right about this?
> >
> > If I knew for sure what a cottage roll was I'd be happy to talk nuts and bolts
> > before I have to leave...
>
> That sounds about right.  I know it's boneless, and it's definitely
> pork.  Can we run with that?

Sure. It's probably the equivalent of a fully cooked ham. Around here it's
called a smoked pork butt, or a <sigh> "porkette". Put it, and any additional
aromatic veggies you may want to include (none is fine if you're of that
persuasion), in a pot with water to cover, bring it to a boil, and lower the
heat to a low simmer. Simmer for around 20-30 minutes per pound, which will
probably be around an hour, if I'm judging the cut of meat correctly.

Remove, drain, cool a bit, then bake like a ham. This could include scoring
the surface, cloves, the whole nine yards, and is more or less up to you.
Honey or brown sugar pressed into the surface, with or without pineapple,
which you mention specifically (you may ned to deploy strategic toothpicks if
using it), and brown in a medium hot oven (~400 degrees F) for perhaps half an
hour or until brown. Let it sit for at least ten minutes before slicing. Yes,
folks, I believe the cut of meat mentioned is fully cooked and should not
require the long cooking a ham would need.)

This may sound like a lot of time to take up for a simple dish, but then you
will presumably be cooking other stuff while all this is going on...

Hope this helps, and I hope the emotional connections to this meal are
successful, too!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy