SC - New cook's question on baking pots/pans-OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 11 15:30:07 PDT 1998

Greetings,

I have a new cook's type question on cooking pots.

I started cooking this recipe today:
>Try Ras's recipe for baked ham as redacted by me:
>1 ham
>Apple cider
>1 cloved onion
>2 cinnamon sticks
>1 tsp peppercorns

>Place ham in large covered baking pan or dish, cover with apple cider, add the
>cloved onion and spices.  Bake at 200 degrees F overnight.

>Wonderful! !

>Mordonna DuBois

I had cut several slabs off my Smithfield ham and soaked them in water
Saturday and last night. Then went to put them in my 8x8 Corningware
casserole dish, since it the recipe says to cover when baking. But there
wasn't enough room for the onion. So I then tried a baking pan which
was shallower and figured I'd cover it with aluminum foil. But it wasn't
tall enough to come close to covering the ham in cider. I ended up
using my Dutch oven, hoping the handle on the lid doesn't melt in the oven.

In the middle of this I went to the grocery store hoping to find a
larger Corningware dish. We used to have an 10x10 one but have only
the lid now. They had virtually nothing like these. Almost bought
a chinzy thin aluminum baking pan with aluminum lid but decided I'd
try foil before spending $11 for that.

I'm sure I can get a larger Corningware casserole dish at a department
store or outlet, but is that really what I should get for this type cooking?
What would you have used?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net
(In 3-4 hours the ham should be ready. And oops, I just see I forgot
to add the peppercorns. Off to do that...)