SC - Ostrich

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 16:38:40 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/1/98 3:26:36 PM US Mountain Standard Time, msca at c2i2.com
writes:

>  Any ideas/methods to try to cook about 75-90 pounds
> of bird in one sitting.

Well, we used to cook whole turkeys in big cast iron caldrons out of doors.
Don't know where you might get your hands on one, though.  Ours had been made
in the nineteenth century and handed down in the family.
Vehling's Apicius does have two recipes for cooking a whole Ostrich.

"[210] BOILED OSTRICH			IN STRUTHIONE
										IN STRUTHIONE ELIXO

[A stock in which to cook ostrich] PEPPER, MINT, CUMIN, LEEKS, CELERY SEED,
DATES, HONEY, VINEGAR, RAISIN WINE, BROTH, A LITTLE OIL.  BOIL THIS IN THE
STOCK KETTLE.  REMOVE THE BIRD WHEN DONE, STRAIN THE LIQUID, THICKEN WITH
ROUX.  TO THIS SAUCE ADD THE OSTRICH.  SPRINKLE WITH PEPPER.  IF YOU WISH IT
MORE SEASONED  OR TASTY ADD GARLIC [DURING COCTION]"

if you don't mind, I think I will skip the redaction on this one.  Those
babies are HUGE!