SC -

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Sep 2 23:08:26 PDT 1998

My theory on Vehling's translation of Apicius:

When reading this, you have to take into account that
a) it was originally written in German and
b) it was translated into German in the early twentieth century.

Thus, for example, 'broth' can be taken to mean 'suitable liquid', if you
remember these two things.
I've seen other translations that translate everything Vehling translated
into 'Broth' as 'Liquamen', including stewed pears. I think that wouldn't
work in any period myself.

I've worked from this book for quite a while, and if you look at it with the
two 'Vehling maxims' above in mind, it makes a heck of a lot more sense!

Glenda.

My 0.02c worth (which isn't much - the Aussie rubel^H^H^H^ dollar just took
a HUGE dive, and is now the lowest it's ever been)