SC - Lemon Beer (Help!)

Osburn-Day, Katherine katherine.osburn-day at lmco.com
Thu Sep 3 09:03:17 PDT 1998

robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au writes:

<<
 Bear wrote
 >IIRC, sometime ago, one of the cooking shows (Jeff Smith?) was doing
 >artichokes and stated that the European artichokes and the American
 >artichokes were two different but related plants. Apparently the fuzz of the
 >European artichoke is edible, where the fuzz of the American artichoke is
 >not.

 As far as I am aware there is only one species, but there are certainly
 several varieties (they are related to thistles incidentally).

	I think what's being referred to here is the US plant that got dubbed
"Jerusalem Artichokes" for some strange reason. They are totally unrelated to
real artichokes, being in the Sunflower family, and a tuber besides! They got
re-named "Sunchokes" a few years back to try to clear up the confusion, and
were fairly common in grocery stores for a while. We grew a patch of them for
few years when I was a teenager. I love them raw--they are crunchy and a bit
sweet, rather akin to water chestnuts. Never did care too much for them
cooked, though; too bland. And it is a lot of trouble to peel the knobby
roots--but then I've always hated peeling *anything*!

              Ldy Diana