SC - Root Beer - oop

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Thu Sep 3 21:16:16 PDT 1998

>>I think perhaps they have it just a bit wrong, too.  Isn't corn flour
oop?
Mordonna<<

Not phrased this way in a European recipe.  They meant 'grain', probably
wheat, not the maise that we call corn, here in the USA.  This is
certainly a very early flour sauce.

Rudd Rayfield said >>Although it is not a true roux, since there is no
grease or butter mentioned,
there seems to be a "proto-roux" described in Ashmole MS 1439 (Two
Fifteenth-
Century Cookery-Books, p. 110):
"Sauce gauncile<<

That's the only one I know.  I've cooked it, it was one of the dipping
sauces for beef cubes I did for the cook's reception at Pennsic.  I'm not
yet happy with it--I did the authentic, now I'll 'tweak' it as I like, as
I would have done in my own kitchen in period--or had the cook do it.  I
have to do the Apicius and compare, as soon as I get in a fresh supply of
chicken.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com