SV: SC - Just some greetings from Angus MacIomhair, formerly know n as brok k.

Brokk H940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Fri Sep 4 10:39:30 PDT 1998

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> Plus a dash of nutmeg, if you are going to make Bechamel sauce.
>         Christianna

Certainly nutmeg is helpful for most practical applications of bechamel sauce.
I don't believe it is part of the canonical method. Let's say  nutmeg is used
in a lot of the small sauces of which bechamel is the mother. Let's not get
caught up in sauce orthodoxy, though, since I note no one has mentioned the
veal knuckle necessary for a REAL bechamel, which is a veal veloute enriched
with cream.

Anybody who feels this stuff is really important (anyone???) should get a copy
of Raymond Sokolov's seminal work, _The Saucier's Apprentice_.

Be that as it may, I love nutmeg in my bechamel, especially with mushrooms or spinach.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com