SC - Lavender (long-ish)

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Sep 6 16:39:34 PDT 1998

At 17:53 6/09/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Lebkuchen is a spice cookie or bar.  The name is generic and covers a
>multitude of variations.  I tend to make it by the baking sheet, and have
>played with reverse-engineering a modern recipe to something more period
>because I couldn't find a period recipe.

I make mine with a family recipie handed down through many generations. It
has a very period ingredient list (including flour, honey, fine ground
preserved peel, ground nuts, cardamom and so on - no raising) and starts by
soaking the spices in the honey overnight. It bakes to a crisp finish with a
very "medieval" flavour. We cut them out in shapes (mostly animlas) and ice
them with an egg/sugar/lemon juice mix (each shape has a trad icing pattern
too). Flavour improves with keeping and even more with being hung in a
christmas tree overnight!

I also have a version made with rye flour - I'll try to bring them in
tommorrow...

Rowan

Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA