oop -SC - A rather unusual request

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Sep 8 20:53:57 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/8/98 8:13:13 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au writes:

>  My very poor understanding is that injecting diabetics need to eat
>  reasonably regularly, but can cope with most things. It seems to me the
>  problem people are those who don't need to keep sticking needles, but
>  need to manage their diets a lot more carefully.

First, all diabetics need to eat a well balanced diet at regular intervals.
Those who are insulin dependent have more of a need for regular meals than
type II diabetics, but it is important to both kinds.
Diabetics with type II (adult onset) diabetes can often treat their disease
with diet.  BUT it requires a rigid adherence to a narrow diet, and it is
never a cure.
Diabetics with type I diabetes (insulin dependent) have to do a careful
balancing act with the insulin, the caloric intake, and the proper balance of
protein, fat, and carbohydrate.  For type I diabetics, the timing of meals is
crucial.

Mordonna (type I)