SC - Spinach Tarte

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 05:04:49 PDT 1998

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Brenna wrote:

> > 1 250g packet frozen spinach
> > 30g butter
> > 100 g sugar
>
> Okay, here we go again.  I can do pounds to kilograms, but how about
> some English instead of Metric here?  Anyone know?

Nonesense. As long as the measurements are in standard units, it is
trivial to calculate what they would be in another system. What is
impossible is when they are given as "half a stick of butter", "1
package of yeast", or "I can of foo", since that requires information on
just how large a stick of butter, a package of yeast, or can of foo is.
At least one of the dominant cultures in the Western world has
difficulty in realizing this.

For those with problems, I hereby present (cut out and save):

| UlfRs Handy Dandy Metric <-> "English" unit conversion chart:    |
| Weight:                                                          |
| 1 kg = 1000 g                                                    |
| 1 lb = 16 oz                                                     |
| 1 oz = 28 g                                                      |
| 1 lb = 454 g                                                     |
| 1 g = 0.035 oz ( or 1/28 oz)                                     |
| 1 kg = 2.2 lb                                                    |
| 1 kg = 35 oz                                                     |
| Volume (US measurements)                                         |
| 1 l = 1000 ml                                                    |
| 1 gallon = 4 quarts                                              |
| 1 quart = 2 pints                                                |
| 1 pint = 2 cups                                                  |
| 1 cup = 8 fl.oz                                                  |
| 1 oz = 30 ml                                                     |
| 1 cup = 236 ml                                                   |
| 1 qt = 0.95 l                                                    |
| 1 gal = 3.8 l                                                    |
| 1 ml = 0.034 oz (1/30 oz)                                        |
| 1 l = 1.06 qt                                                    |
| 1 l = 34 oz                                                      |
| Temperature:                                                     |
| Basic rule of thumb for baking and such:                         |
| 	the temp Farenheigh is twice that of the temp Celsius      |
| I.e. 200 C is approximately 400 F. This works _only_ for         |
| temperatures in the "baking range", for lower temps it does      |
| _not_ work. The equation that lets you convert between the two   |
| is:                                                              |
| 	(F-32) x 5/9 = C                                           |
| which can also be written as:                                    |
|  	(9/5 x C) +32                                              |

> > 1. Preheat oven to 180F/350C
>
> I think this is backward.  GRIN.

Most definitely so. Unless someone is trying to divide two
temperatures, or course. And since I can't envision a case where
division of temperatures is not nonesense, I don't really think that is
the case.

/UlfR

P.S. And in real life the recipie above could have read:

	1 0.5 lb package of froozen spinach
	1 oz butter
	3-1/2 oz sugar

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
"Base eight is just like base ten really - if you're missing two
fingers."		-- Tom Lehrer