SC - Question for Cariadoc about another Garlicky Chicken

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Sep 10 12:47:17 PDT 1998

>In a message dated 9/10/98 8:17:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
>writes:
>
><<
 I don't remember anything about glycerin involved, and, other than the
>dangers involved in dealing with hot sugar syrups, it didn't appear all that
>difficult. Could be fun to try! At a guess, a couple of feet of brass tubing
>would probably work fairly well..........
>
>            Ldy Diana

  The glycerine supposedly gives the mixture a small amount of elacticity
(I think that's how you spell it).  It's also used in cake decorating in
Royal icing to help it keep it's shape better.  I think that adding it to
the sugar would make the sugar easier to 'blow'.
  As for the technique, I had the opportunity to do it once.  I wasn't very
good at it. It's a lot like blowing glass.  I've seen a glassblower make a
wren out of melted sugar.  It looked so pretty.  It's fun, but beware of
the hot sugar. I had blisters galore after this small experiment.  Also,
Sugar cools a lot quicker than what glass does, so you have to work very
quickly.  If you don't, the sugar will set and of you work too quickly, the
blown figure will explode showering a quite amazing distance with shards of
sugar of varying temperatures.

Just and educated guess about the glycerine and what I've seen of this
technique.  As I said I've only done it one, and badly, so I'm in no way
and expert.  I get better techniques with royal icing.

- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

        Logic is a systematic way of arriving at the wrong conclusion in
	confidence.