SC - Thoughts on Food-OT-OOP-Longish

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 06:39:59 PDT 1998

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/10/98 10:31:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> chickengoddess at mindspring.com writes:
>
> << Gosh, I don't
>  suppose I could use a jewelers torch on sugar, whaddaya think Cariadoc?
>
>         Why not? It's fairly common practice to use a small torch in professional
> kitchens to carmelize the sugar on creme brulee--I've even done it myself. And
> I'd think that a stationary torch, such as the one you use for lampworking,
> would be ideal. I'd want to have both hands free to use on the blowpipe,
> myself...... ;-)

One thing to be careful of, though, is that a torch produces a somewhat
pressurized flame, and while it's pretty easy to compensate for that, I
believe the most common tool I've seen used for the job is an alcohol lamp.
There's a little ni-chrome wire gadget, like the inside of your toaster, they
use for cutting the pieces.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy