SC - A rather unusual request

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Sep 11 09:20:58 PDT 1998

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> some other people on the list do the same.  So, my question is, "What
> Medieval or Renaissance recipes can we recommend where the ingredients would
> be part of a normal grocery purchase, where the dish would fit into a modern
> family meal, and which can be prepared with limited untensils and facilities
> in a timely manner."

I find that large portions of the BG[1] corpus is fairly easy to
produce. Some of the spices are a problem, but not much else. And spices
isn't really a large part of the cost of most meals.

The "pasta & cheese" dishes (losyns, etc) are quick and easy, at least
if one uses commercial pasta.

Most of the meat stews/pottages/soups require very little in the line of
kitchen equipment, and are fairly economical to make.

The Brotchan Folchep (sp?), while not fully documentable, is good, cheap
food.

Also remember that while spices have a high price/oz, one doesn't use
very much, and the cost per serving is not generally affected much by
this.

/UlfR

[1] Brown Goo, i.e. early medieval.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
STOP PLATE TECTONICS NOW!